Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Give It All Up, To Gain It All

Hello Everyone,

How are you doing?  I want to share with you a thought I had today after a conversation I had with Jay one of my colleagues and our bother in Christ this morning.

We talked about working in ministry in our local churches, the love we have for it and the fear of the unknown.  You may be wondering fear what fear?  We discussed how we are both on the Potter's wheel right now.  The Potter is God our Father in heaven and we are the clay. He brought up the story of the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:16-24 focusing on verses 20-21. I encourage you to  read the entire text.  The rich young ruler asked Jesus what must he do to have eternal life.  Then in verse 21 Jesus said, "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."  


How many of us have told God that we will do anything for Him, go anywhere for Him and completely give ourselves, desires and lives to Him but when He tells us what to do (whatever that may be for you) some of us turn and walk away like the rich young ruler.  I am not saying that we turn away from God but we turn away from the purpose he has for our lives.  We have to ask ourselves are we willing to give it all up, to gain it all.  


I understand it is scary to think about giving up the things we desire to fulfill what God desires.  I know someone is saying what do you mean?  For example, I am single and desire to one day to be married and have a family, my Mom wants grandchildren (can anyone relate), but by my saying, Lord I give up what I desire for what you desire, He may say no to the husband and kids.  Then since God gives us free will, I would have to choose between having a family or not having a family with the benefit of fulfilling God's purpose for my life and gaining a great eternal reward in heaven.  One thing that Jay said was Jesus may have looking to see what the rich young ruler would choose to do because that would show rather or not he really had a heart for God.  


We have to remember that God is FAITHFUL!  He is not going to ask you to give up something and not replace it with something better that only He can give you.  WOW!!!  At some point the clay has to yield to the Potter in order for something beautiful to be made.  Are you willing to yield?  Are you willing to give it all up, to gain it all!?!?


Thank you Jay!


Much Love,
Jamison

No comments: