Friday, February 24, 2012

Observing Lent

Hello Friends,

As some of you already know the Lenten season started this past Wednesday which was Ash Wednesday.  Some of you may have never heard of Lent and others of you observe it yearly.

Lent is a period of 40 weekdays leading up to Easter or Resurrection Sunday.  For  that period of time we as Christians observe fasting, abstinence and penitence.  To clarify, you may choose not eat certain types of food, not watch TV or something you would normally do and you focus on God's forgiveness and salvation that we have through Christ Jesus.  The Lenten season is also the perfect time of year to increase you time reading the Bible and praying.

A friend of mine picked up a daily devotional book and CD for the Lenten season.  So I will be going through it. Also I am giving up desserts (yes including chocolate so when Resurrection (Easter) Sunday comes I will be hitting up Kroger for candy) and bread (will also stuff myself with bagels and cream cheese, look out Panera).  All joking aside I choice those items because  I wanted my fast to be more meaningful to me.  Those are foods that are very hard for me to go without eating daily, but this is a time to die to oneself and focus on Christ Jesus and the sacrifice He made for us. My bread and dessert sacrifice pales in comparison but it keeps my mind focused on Him.

I hope this post helps to encourage you to observe Lent.  Do not worry about starting late.  Do it for the benefit of getting to know your Lord and Savior Christ Jesus on a deeper level.

Since this is a time of prayer and reflection please comment and let us know how we can pray for you.

Much Love,
Jamison

No comments: